MONTGOMERY, ALA (July 11, 2019) – Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools (CLAS), the association of public school and school system leaders, announces the election of new executive officers and members of the board of directors for the year, effective July 1, 2019.
- Joe Toomey, Murphy High School principal in Mobile County Public Schools will serve on the executive committee. He represents the Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals (AASSP) and was elected to the CLAS Board in 2016 as a Director. Toomey has served in various roles within AASSP, currently he is serving as the President-Elect.
- Van Phillips, Sr., Center Point High School principal in Jefferson County Schools will serve on the executive committee. He represents the Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals (AASSP) and was elected to the CLAS Board in 2014 as a Director. Additionally, he was the 2017-2018 Alabama Principal of the Year.
New Directors elected for the 2019-2020 year include:
- Tricia Culpepper, Cullman City Primary School principal, will serve as Alabama Association of Elementary School Administrators (AAESA) Director. She has served as AAESA District 1 representative for the past two years.
- Dr. Dilhani Uswatte, Rocky Ridge Elementary School principal, will serve as AAESA Director. Previously she served as the AAESA District IV President and Secretary.
- Cassandra Anderson, Straughn Middle School principal, will serve as the Alabama Association of Middle School Principals (AAMSP) Director. Prior to this position she was President of AAMSP in addition to several other leadership roles.
- Dr. Scott Faulk, Dothan City Schools Director of Safety, Security and Attendance, will serve as Alabama Association of Prevention, Attendance and Support Services (AAPASS) Director. He has been a member of AAPASS since 2016.
- David Sikes, Pike Road High School principal, will serve as Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals (AASSP) Director. He joined AASSP in 2012 and has served as President of District 3 since 2018.
- Dr. Roderick Sheppard, Florence High School principal, will serve as Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals (AASSP) Director, also. He has been an active member of AASSP since 2002, serving in various leadership roles in CLAS and AASSP.
- Dr. Aaron Milner, Saraland City Schools superintendent, will serve as School Superintendents of Alabama (SSA) Director. Dr. Milner joined SSA in 2010.
- John Heard, III, Perry County Schools superintendent, will serve as School Superintendents of Alabama (SSA) Director. Mr. Heard was named the 2015 Alabama Superintendent of the Year.
"I am pleased to welcome these members into their newly appointed roles. We are so fortunate to have such a well-informed and enthusiastic group of leaders serving on this year's Executive Committee and Board of Directors," said Dr. Vic Wilson, CLAS executive director. "Their dedication and contributions are vital as we continue to advance public education."
About CLAS: CLAS, the Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools was founded in 1969 by a small group of school leaders to provide targeted professional development and support for Alabama’s public-school administrators. CLAS now serves eleven affiliates representing each type of public school/school system leader. CLAS provides the framework to connect dedicated school administrators and other successful leaders with a network for professional growth and support. Headquartered in Montgomery, AL, CLAS is the foremost professional learning provider for administrators of public schools in the state of Alabama.
Photos: Joe Toomey, Van Phillips, Tricia Culpepper, Dr. Dilhani Uswatte, Cassandra Anderson, Dr. Scott Faulk, David Sikes, Dr. Roderick Sheppard, Dr. Aaron Milner, and John Heard.
Download Press Release